ACRE Best Village Competition
What is the ACRE Northamptonshire Best Village Group?
Earlier this year Glapthorn was invited to enter the annual Northamptonshire Best Village competition. It was agreed that the village would not have sufficient time to submit an entry in 2018. However, the invitation prompted a review of the community life of the village and the Best Village Group was established in April to prepare an entry for 2019.
Having met on three occasions, the group has completed an audit of all the existing activities and services available to the village and a number of projects have been developed which we hope will further enhance life in Glapthorn in the future.
- An informal art group starting in the autumn.
- A singing for pleasure group also starting in he autumn.
- An annual Glapthorn history day –this year scheduled for Sunday 28th October.
- A monthly coffee morning for all to be held on the 2nd Friday of each month from 10am till 11.30am, beginning on 10th August.
- A "Share your Spare" scheme beginning on 1st July whereby gardeners share their excess produce with their neighbours.
- An annual "Tidy Up" week to coincide with Litter Pick week. Residents will be encouraged to mow and weed their house frontages, trim back hedges and overhanging shrubs and clear gutters of plant debris.
- An information hub in the church.
- An upgrade of the village newsletter.
- A "Handy Andy" team to carry out small, one off household/garden tasks, mainly for the more elderly residents, but also to undertake small maintenance jobs round the village that are too costly for the Parish Council to fund.The team leader is Liz Barnish on 03330062730 / email@example.com
- A "Tech Team", again mainly to provide advice and support for the elderly with, for example, TV tuning and I.T. issues. The team leader is Shindo Bettley on 01832 205085 / Shindobettley@gmail.com
- A "Green Team" to identify, plan, plant and maintain neglected areas in the village for future environmental enhancement. The team leader is Ursula Wide on 01832 272594 / firstname.lastname@example.org
How can you help?
The competition places great emphasis on community effort and involvement, so if you would like to participate in any of the projects above please contact the relevant team leader.
Your contribution will be most welcome.
How do I access the services?
Do you need an extra pair of hands to move furniture?
Is it becoming difficult to change a ceiling lightbulb?
Is your computer "playing up" and you're not sure how to fix it?
Do you want to know how to change your energy provider on-line?
These, and many more, are the services our teams happy to provide. If you need assistance, just give us a call!
Follow the projects.
Keep an eye on this page for news and updates on all the projects.
The Handy Andy Team will be repainting the railings on the 2 bridges over the brook between 22nd September and 20th October on behalf of the Parish Council. Please let Liz Barnish know if you would like to help out. All materials and equipment will be provided.
Ursula Wide, leader of the Green Team, is organising an Open Gardens event in aid of the Cransley Hospice next summer – the provisional date is 16th June 2019. Further details will follow.
The ACRE Northants Best Village Group works in association with Glapthorn Parish Council and the Village Hall Management Committee.